19th Century sterling silver toast rack, the four arched and curved divisions surmounted with heart shaped carrying handle, raised on rectangular base terminating on bun foot. Stamped 'Sheffield 1897' and 'H.A', Atkin Brothers.
The Atkin Brothers
The Atkin Brothers business traces it's origin to Thomas Law, a silversmith active in Sheffield from circa 1750 to 1775. He was one of the only two firms combining the trades of cutlers and general silversmiths.
The business was continued by his sons John and William, and later by Joseph Law (probably the son of John, as in an 1830 directory he is quoted as "Joseph Law, late John Law & Son"). In 1824 was entered the mark of Jos. Law, Jn Oxley & Henry Atkin (oddly the mark was "LL", possibly for Law & Law) and in 1829 Henry Atkin and John Oxley, trading as Atkin, Oxley & Co, succeeded to the original firm. They dissolved their partnership circa 1840.
Henry Atkin continued the trade as Henry Atkin & Co at 32 Howard Street, Sheffield. He died in 1853, and his sons Harry Wright Atkin, Edward Thomas Atkin and Frank Shaw Atkin continued the trade under the style Atkin Brothers in their Truro Works, Matilda Street, Sheffield. The firm opened offices in London, managed by Harry Wright Atkin, and in 1925 became a limited liability company as Atkin Brothers (Silversmiths) Ltd.
Atkin Brothers manufactured a wide range of electroplate, Britannia Metal, silver and plated cutlery supplied to Thornhill & Co - London, Barraclough & Sons - Leeds, Ollivant & Botsford - Manchester, James Crichton & Co - Edinburgh, Hall & co - Manchester, Fairfax & Roberts - Sydney and many other firms in the United Kingdom and in the ColoniesAntique English Sterling silver toast rack with four arched divisions and central loop carrying handle to rectangular base raised on bun feet. Hallmarked Sheffield, Old English ‘m’ for 1904 and makers’ mark for William Hutton & Sons Ltd. The firm was established in Birmingham in 1800 and moved to Sheffield in 1832. It eventually transferred the goodwill to James Dixon & Sons Ltd in 1930.
H: 3 in / 7.5 cm W: 3.25 in / 8.5 cm D: 2.25 in / 5.6 cm
Stock Reference No: A2458