A very fine Pair of early 19th Century Regency mahogany dining chairs in the manner of Gillows. Stunningly hand carved with a lovely patina, the tablet top back rail with stylised shell and symmetrical scroll motifs raised above a horizontal splat with foliate detail, above an upholstered seat supported on two elegant sabre legs to the rear and finely carved tapering ring turned fluted legs to the fore, circa 1820.
Gillows of Lancaster and London
Gillows were renowned for making some of the finest mahogany furniture in England in the early 18th century. Based originally in Lancashire they opened a branch in Oxford Street, London in 1769 and quickly established a thriving business. The company had dealings with the West Indies and the imported mahogany which allowed them to produce items made of the best timber. As well as a broad metropolitan client base Gillows was also successful in supplying a great amount of furniture to a variety of northern country houses such as a considerable commission in Cheshire for the Marquess (later Duke) of Westminster at Eaton Hall as well as to the Egertons at Tatton Park. Pieces of Gillow furniture can now be seen in museums in London, Leeds, Adelaide, Melbourne, and Auckland, as well as a collection in the Gillow Museum in the Judges' Lodgings, Lancaster. The furniture can also be seen in houses open to the public such as Tatton Park, Temple Newsam House and Lotherton Hall as part of the decorative arts collections.
H: 34.5 in / 87.5 cm W: 18 in / 45.7 cm D: 19 in / 48.3 cm
Seat H: 19 in / 48.3 cm
Stock Reference No: A2687