An extremely rare pair of exceptional mahogany side cabinets attributed to Edwards and Roberts, fabulously carved with gorgeously rich patination and grain. Beautifully detailed, crossbanded and inlaid with intricate marquetry work depicting Neoclassical motifs of cherubs, urns, trailing bell husks, scrolls, ribboned swags of foliate and greek key motifs throughout. The moulded upper section with three quarter shaped gallery top with a fabulous centred cartouche depicting a pastoral scene of two cherubs joyfully frolicking, flanked with trailing foliate, raised over two doors with decorative brass closing slip, beautifully cross banded panels with reeded edge, depicting fabulously detailed urns and opening to reveal shelved interior. The lower section with moulded bowfront top with a further arrangement of urn and foliate detail to the central reserve is raised over single drawer frieze with further trailing foliate and decorative brass pulls. Supported on elegant slender tapering legs conjoined with shelf form X stretcher.
Edward & Roberts
Edward and Roberts were founded in 1845, and had premises at 21 Wardour Street London. By 1892 they occupied more than a dozen buildings in Wardour Street, where they continued to trade until the end of the century. They became one of the leading London cabinet makers and retailers working in a variety of styles, both modern and revivalist. Edward and Roberts specialized in marquetry, inlay and ormolu.
H: 51.25 in / 130.2 cm W: 22 in / 55.8 cm D: 16 in / 40.7 cm
Stock Reference No: A2892